Here Come the inflation adjustments!
This week, we get the details behind Turkey’s substantial patent fee and VAT increases and also preview upcoming changes for Egypt. Beginning in October, students will receive substantial discounts – might be time to go back to school?
Egypt Patent Fee Updates Effective October 1
This week’s PCT applicant guide highlighted some updates to patent fees in Egypt, effective October 1.
Highlights of the changes:
- In Annex D: Search fee (PCT Rule 16), the fee for payment in Swiss Francs (CHF) will decrease from CHF 121 to CHF 114.
- Students will no longer be required to pay application fees for patents or utility models.
- Students will no longer be required to pay for substantive examination.
- Students will only be required to pay 10% of maintenance fees.
- Small entities will be eligible for a 50% discount on maintenance fees.
Turkey Patent Fees Updated Effective July 8
The Turkish Government recently announced an increase in the official fees for patents and trademarks and Value Added Tax (VAT) rates. The new patent fees went into effect on July 8th. The new VAT rate for goods and services is raised from 18% to 20% and takes effect on July 10th.
Highlights of the patent fee increase:
Patent application costs have increased from TRY 160 to TRY 224.74.
Maintenance fees have increased across the board. For example, the cost to renew a 3rd-year annuity has increased from TRY 1,050.00 to TRY 1,380.81.
- All other patent fees have been increased 50% on average.